Two (2) copies of a Site Plan stamped by a registered land surveyor are required when applying for a building permit. The Site Plan(s) should be drawn to scale and include the following information:
- Shape, dimensions, radii, angles and area of the lot.
- Assessor’s plat and lot numbers.
- Size and location of the proposed building (including decks).
- Location and dimensions of access drives, parking areas (200 sq. ft per bedroom), planting and screening, and distance between structures on the same lot.
- The use of the land and/or the intended use of the structure and the number of dwelling units.
- Topographic information including distance to wetlands and/or water bodies within 200’; coastal features, flood zone elevation of site and lowest habitable floor; platted width of right of way, existing width and surface of traveled road on which the lot fronts, designation whether public or private or to be constructed; existing or proposed easements, and all existing utilities within the right of way.
- Show existing and proposed contours, annotate top of foundation and lowest floor elevation including basement (coastal & flood zone areas - require mean sea level datum).
- Two (2) copies of construction drawings are also required. Construction drawings should be drawn to scale and include the following information:
- Foundation plan detailing size, thickness, beam, pockets, openings, anchor bolt spacing; also column footing size, thickness and spacing.
- Floor plans with rooms labeled, dimensions, size of headers; size, spacing and direction of floor joists, location of attic scuttle.
- Elevations of all exterior views.
- Cross section which shows footing and foundations, sills, columns, beams joints rafters, collar ties insulation stair dimensions, exterior vents. Size, spacing and type of material of lumber grading.
- Engineered truss drawing (if applicable).
- Engineering for 120-mile hour winds
- Impact glass specifications
Building Permit Applications
Lines from item 1 (street location) through item 19 (use of each floor) excluding items 2 (zoning), 7 (fire), 16 (prints) and 17 (certificate) on the Building Permit Application are required to be filled out. Above item 1, only fill in the municipality “Narragansett” and be sure to leave the application date blank (this is reserved for the date of issuance). Complete box “F” and annotate an estimated general cost in box “I”. Finally, sign lower right hand corner of application and submit all appropriate documentation do the Department of Building Inspection.
- If your lot is sewered you must submit a copy of your sewer permit, sewer lot development fee receipt, or sewer assessment receipt.
- Your plans must be reviewed by the local fire department. They will mark the locations of required smoke detectors and will stamp the drawings confirming that they have been reviewed.
- If the project is within the Bonnet Shores Fire District 1, separate approval is required from the fire district prior to filing a permit request with the town (for new construction only).
- If your project is located in a condominium, condo association approval is required.
- If your project requires a Comprehensive Permit, Staff Review (Administrative Approval), Variances and/or Special Use Permits (Zoning Board of Review), or is a Subdivision/Land Development Project coordination with the Department of Community Development will be required. For more information please refer to the Department of Community Development's Forms & Applications web page.
- If your project is located in a Historic District approval by the Historic District Commission may be required. For more information please refer to the HDC Standards, Guidelines, Procedures & Application Forms web page.